Monday, September 6, 2010

Braised Lentils with Spinach

This is my favorite lentil recipe, but I'm new to the scene.  I thought it was worth sharing, though.

I am posting the original recipe, but I made a few changes.  First, I didn't want my veggies to be mushy, so I didn't add them in to boil with the lentils until the last 5 minutes.  I also added 1/2 cup of chicken broth twice by accident, but decided it was a positive mistake.

BRAISED LENTILS WITH SPINACH

Ingredients
• 2 cups brown lentils
• 2 small onions, diced
• 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
• 1 stalk celery, diced
• 2 bay leaves
• ½ C chicken or vegetable stock
• 2 T olive oil
• 1 bag of washed spinach
• Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1. Cover lentils so that there is approximately 2 inches of water above the lentils.
2. Add onions, carrots, celery, and bay leaves. Add salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Cook at medium/high heat for 20 minutes.
3. Drain beans and discard bay leaves. Move to a skillet and add oil, chicken broth, salt and pepper.
4. Boil and reduce the liquid so that the lentils are moist with no extra liquid.
5. Add the spinach and toss until slightly wilted. Season with salt and pepper one more time if necessary

No comments: