Ok, this is very easy but I believe essential recipe for everyone to have in their recipe box. Stuffed baked potatoes. This is such a versatile idea (you can add whatever you want) and it is great when you are entertaining guests. It is such a simple idea but I have made these often for friends and they always rave about them!
(Remember this is just a basic outline. Use whatever ingredients you like and change it up! And always make extras…they are GREAT as leftovers)
1. Bake large baking potatoes until tender. My oven I tend to bake at 400 degrees for 1 hour & 15 minutes. (Tip: Don’t forget to poke your potatoes with a fork before cooking & for additional flavor rub olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder on the outside of the baked potato before cooking. If you do that and place them directly on the oven racks the outside will be crispy and taste great!)
2. Get them out of the oven and let them cool slightly. Prepare other ingredients and place in large bowl.
3. My ingredients for 4 potatoes. (I don't measure, so this is just a guess)
- 1 Large onion, diced
- 1 Large green pepper, diced
- 1 ½ cups cubed prepackaged ham
- 1 ½ cups finely shredded cheddar cheese
- Garlic (optional, to taste)
4. Once all of these items have been added to a large bowl and your potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut the very top of the skin off the top of each potato.
5. Scoop out all the potato from each baked potato skin.
6. Place the insides of the potato into the large bowl with all your other ingredients.
7. Place the empty potato “shell” on a cookie sheet.
8. Once all the potatoes are scooped out, place a little dab of butter (or margarine) inside each shell.
9. Mix the potato ingredients in the bowl together until incorporated.
10. Add salt & pepper to the mixture to taste.
11. Add a couple tablespoons of sour cream to the mixture to make slightly creamy.
12. Put the potato mixture back into each shell. Make sure to fill them up good!!!
13. Sprinkle some shredded cheddar cheese on top.
14. Bake in a 350 degree oven for approximately 20 minutes or until the cheese is fully melted.
A nice salad and maybe a little more sour cream on top of each potato and it is a great dinner!