Friday, July 3, 2009

Turkey Meatloaf with Feta and Sun-Dried Tomatoes

Ok, so K. and I made this meatloaf this week and I have to say it is simply amazing! The turkey was never dry; in fact it was very moist. (Sorry, had to use the word) Infact it says cook to 165 degrees and I had kept it in longer (to make sure it was done) and it reach 188 degrees. I really thought I ruined it, but NO it was perfect. I changed it up a very tiny bit so this is how I made it. However, go here to see Giada’s original recipe. (She uses actual Sun-Dried tomatoes whereas I used pesto.) May I also suggest mini meatloaf pans so the outside gets extra crispy – YUM! We served with mashed potatoes and broccoli.


Ingredients

Vegetable cooking spray
3/4 cup Italian bread crumbs*
1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/4 cup Classico ® Sundried tomato pesto.*
2 cloves garlic, minced, optional
2 eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons milk*
6 oz crumbled feta cheese*
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 ½ pounds ground turkey*


Directions

Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Spray a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, stir together the bread crumbs, parsley, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, if using, eggs, milk, feta, salt, and pepper. Add the turkey and gently stir to combine, being careful not to overwork the meat.

Carefully pack the meat mixture into the prepared pan and bake until the internal temperature registers 165 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer, about 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and slice. Put on a serving platter and serve.



*These are the things I changed from the original recipe.

No comments: